This is mostly targeted toward the workplace and how when there isn’t a man available for the job to get a woman to work at maximum efficiency.
- Pick young married women. They usually have more sense of responsibility than their unmarried friends, they’re less likely to be flirtatious, they need the work or they wouldn’t be doing it, they still have the pep and interest to work hard and to deal with the public efficiently.
- Retain a physician to give each woman you hire a special physical examination – one covering female conditions. This step not only protects the property against the possibilities of lawsuit, but reveals whether the employee-to-be has any female weaknesses which would make her mentally of physically unfit for the job.
- Stress at the outset the importance of time the fact that a minute or two lost here and there make serious inroads on schedules. Until this point is gotten across, service is likely to be slowed up.
- Give the female employee a definite day-long schedule of duties so that they’ll keep busy without bothering the management for instructions every few minutes. Numerous studies have shown that women make excellent works when they have their jobs cut out for them, but that they do lack the initiative in finding work for themselves.
- Whenever possible, let the employee change from one job to another at some time during the day. Women are inclined to be less nervous and happier with change.
- Give every girl an adequate number of rest periods during the day. You have to make some allowances for feminine psychology. A girl has more confidence and is more efficient if she can keep her hair neat, apply fresh lipstick and file her nails several times a day.
- Be tactful when issuing instructions or in making criticisms. Women are often sensitive; they can’t shrug off harsh words the way men do. Never ridicule a woman – it breaks her spirt and cuts off her efficiency.